Friday, March 02, 2012

Stalled development and long walks for the milk


I like this blog, although its rather odd name fails to explain what its about. The pint of milk test was as far as I can remember first coined by think tank IPPR as a theoretical test on the accessibility of new developments to local services. The implication was if it took you more than 10 minutes to walk from the development to a shop where you could buy a pint of milk  it really was cut off and badly located.

Somewhere that almost certainly fails the pint of milk test is IYLO, an unusual building built on a traffic island a good 15 mins walk from Croydon town centre. The glossy website brochure describes IYLO as "Inspiration for Life"  and "the only 100% private development of its size in London" ( a euphemism that I'll explain later). What it fails to mention is that the block of 182 flats is unfinished and 100% empty. Work on the building stopped in 2009 when the developer went bust, it briefly restarted last year but the new owner went bust too.  In an attempt to get things going again the council agreed to drop its social housing requirements (hence the 100% private tag). It apparently worked,  the building was recently sold to a Chinese development company for a knock down £10m (£55k a flat). If you are feeling confident, and don't mind a long walk for the milk you can buy one now, if enough people do the same work will no doubt restart. If not Inspiration for Life may still be a long way off in Croydon.

11 comments:

  1. great offer in durham.new homes for sale in Durham.so be hurry before all being sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IYLO does in fact pass the "pint of milk test" - there's a small shop literally at the foot of the development, and plenty more within 3-4 minutes walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Pint of Milk Test" was invented/popularised by Geoff Marsh and myself in relation to the degree of access new developments had to shops meeting everyday needs. Geoff founded London Residential Research, who have take this phrase as their strapline.

    Michael Bach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, it's a great phrase and helps bring some domestic humanity to development. Incidentaly my local shop has started selling milk in 500ml bottles, so I don't whether that means I fail it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great deal. I like it and I will surely refer this to my friend. Big thanks for sharing.


    Charles A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this article. I whole heartedly support any organisation regarding 'The Great British Property Scandal'. It is criminal to think that 1 million people are homeless in the UK and at least 350,000 houses are long term empties. I have started my own group because I feel so passionate about turning empty properties into habitable residential homes again. Keep posting. I'll be returning regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a weblog i am so inspired here can you discuss here, i am back again again to your site as soon as possible and i have lot of collection for you just click here for more information.

    Technewsinfo
    Technews
    Tech news
    Tech

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our beautiful Naples provided apartments and homes are among the top joint protection in the City region. With our fond and contemplative staff, you will be provided change options to fit your requirements and be able to select your perfect short-term or long-term accommodations.
    naples corporate housing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has the right to stay at a decent place! Nice post.

    Air Force Jag

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an excellent deal and my friends/family is surely excited about it. I will get in touch with you on this soon.


    personal protective equipment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog, I would recommend this to my friends.

    ReplyDelete